Log in

IDOE Emergency Permits

01/28/2014 1:54 PM | Anonymous
January 26, 2014

Indiana Speech-Language Pathologists,


Multiple concerns were brought to the attention of the Indiana Speech-Language-Hearing Association’s (ISHA’s) Executive Council this past year concerning the use of emergency permits for communication disorders in Indiana.  This past December (2013), Ruth Ann Morrell, ISHA President, and myself met with a representative from the Indiana Department of Education (IDOE) to discuss the concerns.


It should be noted that less than 45 individuals currently hold an emergency permit in Communication Disorders in Indiana.  This number is substantially less than in past years. 


Also, the IDOE and ISHA were in agreement to include our Indiana Professional Licensing Agency (IPLA) --Indiana Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology Board -- Indiana Code (IC 25-35.6-1-8.5) specific to emergency communication disorder permit regulations on the IDOE’s website with their emergency permit information.  This is a cooperative effort for transparency about what is specifically required for individuals attempting to obtain an emergency permit in communication disorders.  The goal is for individuals applying for an emergency permit AND for administrators hiring individuals on an emergency permit to have access to IDOE and IPLA requirements and regulations in one location to minimize any misunderstanding or lack of knowledge about the qualifications required, and restrictions imposed, for an individual issued an emergency permit in communication disorders in Indiana.


Please see the recently updated IDOE website below (as of 1/7/14):



Rachel Ross-Kroemer, M.A., CCC-SLP

ISHA President-Elect

To support and empower members to provide the highest quality, life changing communication, swallowing and hearing services to the people of the State of Indiana.

Email:; Phone: ‪855-727-2836
Copyright © 2004 - 2021 ISHA. All rights reserved

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software